Hospice Medical Social Worker
Glacial Ridge Homecare and Hospice is seeking a part-time hospice social worker to develop, implement, and evaluate the social work program and services. These are in accordance with current guidelines and regulations that govern the department/facility and social work profession. The roles of the social worker are to assess the psychosocial needs of patients and families, to identify options or remedies and to assist with implementation of plan(s).
(This position could be combined with the part-time Hospice Spiritual Care Coordinator position if qualified.)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to write the English language in a legible and understandable manner.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions.
- Must be knowledgeable of common nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to hospice care.
- Must possess leadership and supervisory ability and the willingness to work with professional and non-professional personnel.
- Must have patience, tact, a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as willingness to handle difficult clients.
- May be requested to work beyond normal working hours and on weekends and holidays.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with others within the department/facility.
- Communicate to the appropriate personnel the expressed concerns and needs of patients. Resolve conflicts, problems, etc. by using appropriate conflict resolution techniques.
- Communicate behavior changes and potential problems, validate their meaning and initiate problem-solving.
- Use communication skills to convey a favorable image of the department/organization.
- Act as a role model/resource in team building.
- Actively promote cohesiveness and peer support among department staff related to social work function.
- Support and promote department goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with other members of the hospice team and/or out-of-facility providers when coordinating social work to ensure that the patient’s regimen of care is met.
- Ensure that all service personnel are following the client’s rights. Advocate and educate patients and team members regarding patient’s rights.
- Consult with the RN Case Manager as necessary.
- Must document any involvement with medical and nursing staff, patients, families, or other outside agencies using approved charting guidelines.
- Maintain a liaison with the patients, their families, support departments, etc., to adequately plan for the patient’s needs.
- Coordinate and monitor hospice volunteer and bereavement activities.
- Implement and complete related assessment tools per patient need or situation.
- Attend and participate in various departmental/community meetings.
- Provide education and support services to the community at large when the need is identified.
- Provide crisis intervention when appropriate.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in human services field including but not limited to social work, sociology, special education, rehabilitation counseling, or psychology.
- Must have current licensure or working towards obtaining licensure.
- Attends and participates in continuing education programs.
- Must abide by state and national social work standards.
- Prefer, a minimum one (1) year experience in hospital, long-term facility, or other related health care facility.
- One (1) year of supervised social work experience in health care setting working directly with patients.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and communicate effectively.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- Team building.
- Must be able to support the emotional well-being of the patient/family and assist planning as needed for the patient’s family or significant other.
- Must adhere to HIPAA confidentiality standards.
- Must adhere to the Keys to Heartfelt Care.
- Must receive an annual influenza vaccine.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position.
How to Apply
- Apply Online
- Download, print, and mail completed application or resume to: Jenna Janu, HR Manager, 10 Fourth Ave SE, Glenwood, MN 56334
GRHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For general inquiries, click on the Contact Us button below.
Click on the button below to learn more about our Medical Staff.