Glacial Ridge Hospital is seeking a Unit Coordinator to perform clerical functions relating to patient care and the efficient operation of the hospital unit. This person coordinates the nurse’s station, including appointment scheduling, patient registration, data entry, and communication with the healthcare team to provide excellent patient care. Under the supervision of the DON or Charge Nurse, the Unit Coordinator is responsible for maintaining complete, accurate, and confidential patient medical charts as legal documents, ordering supplies as directed, and answering general inquiries from patients, visitors, and telephone callers. May assist with in-service education and quality assurance functions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Answers all incoming calls to the unit.
- Welcomes and directs or accompanies visitors to patients and informs visitors of hospital regulations.
- Utilizes EMR for patient admission, room transfer, patient class transfer, patient transfer to another facility, and patient discharge.
- Keeps census list accurate and complete.
- Maintains and coordinates the Outpatient Nursing department schedule, medical charts, daily census, and patient referrals.
- Coordination with ancillary departments.
- Files charts in proper order and keeps track of where charts are at all times. Checks for neatness, correctness and ensures chart is complete. Files patient information into each hospital patient’s chart in accordance with established chart order.
- Utilizes EMR to accurately transcribe physician orders in a timely fashion. Notifies Lead nurse of pertinent information and orders.
- Assesses and organizes workload, determines the order of importance to prioritize tasks, and provides efficient time management.
- Keeps nurse’s station area organized and adequately stocked with office supplies and forms; reorders supplies as necessary. Keeps appearance of the office and surrounding area neat and in order.
- Reports to DON or Charge Nurse any situation that is a hazard to patient safety.
- Distributes mail, flowers, and packages to patients.
- Supports and participates in activities that promote customer satisfaction
- Completion of health unit coordinator or medical secretary program or two years of medical office experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, office procedures, office equipment, and clerical techniques. Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office proficiency preferred).
- Working knowledge of Business English, spelling, and math.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Ability to learn assigned tasks readily and to adhere to prescribed departmental routines.
- Ability to learn and utilize EMR to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work well during stressful situations.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and ability to work effectively with patients and /or patient families, personnel, medical staff, and general public.
- Ability to understand and follow hospital policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and communicate effectively.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- Team building.
- Must adhere to HIPAA confidentiality standards.
- Must adhere to the Keys to Heartfelt Care.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- 76-80 hours per pay period
- Days, some later shifts into the evening, with every third weekend/holiday rotation
How to Apply:
- Apply Online
- Download, print, and mail completed application or resume to Jenna Janu, HR Manager, 10 Fourth Ave SE, Glenwood, MN 56334
GRHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.