Our promise is to provide the most courteous, efficient and best quality services and medical care to the communities we serve.
The mission of Glacial Ridge Health System is to provide the highest quality “heartfelt” care to the communities we serve.
The vision of Glacial Ridge Health System is to be the healthcare provider of choice by providing compassionate and comprehensive healthcare services.
The foundation of Glacial Ridge Health System began when Doctors J. R. Elsey and E. A. Eberlin rented the “Furtney House” in September of 1912 and turned it into a hospital. They equipped and operated Glenwood’s first hospital at that location from 1912 – 1916 until they purchased the “Fjelstad House” and converted it to a hospital. Doctors Elsey and Eberlin cared for patients there from 1916 until 1939 when the City of Glenwood built a new 26-bed community hospital. Glacial Ridge Hospital continued to operate as a city-owned hospital until October of 1976 when several townships joined forces to form a district hospital.
The following cities and townships constitute Glacial Ridge Hospital District: Grove Lake, Chippewa Falls, Gilchrist, Glenwood, Lake Johanna, Reno, Bangor, Westport, and Leven, and the cities of Brooten, Glenwood, Starbuck, Villard, Westport, Long Beach, and Sedan.
We are governed by a district Board of Directors. Directors are elected to represent each township and city included in the hospital district and they are dedicated to providing our patients the finest medical care possible.
Glacial Ridge Hospital is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3), 22-bed Critical Access Hospital and is a designated Level IV Trauma Center and Acute Stroke Ready Hospital. GRHS is located in the city of Glenwood, Minnesota and offers a rural health clinic in Glenwood, Brooten, and Starbuck. GRHS serves the Pope County area and beyond including Alexandria.
Keys to Heartfelt Care
The following are basic expectations for patient, guest, and staff interactions at Glacial Ridge Health System.
- We will convey courtesy, enthusiasm, and good will
- We will respect the privacy of our patients and guests.
- We will view each contact as an opportunity to gain loyalty and respect.
- We will anticipate the needs of others.
- We will make our work respected by keeping all promises.
- We will be good listeners.
- We will be compassionate.
- We will be part of the solution, not the problem.
- We will not gossip or engage in other hurtful behavior.
- We will not pass judgment.
- We will admit when we are wrong.
- We understand that customers are the foundation of our business.
- We will provide exceptional service to every customer every time.
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
An assessment of Pope County conducted by Glacial Ridge Health System and community partners to better understand the needs and assets of the community, focusing on health and wellness.
For general inquiries, click on the Contact Us button below.
Click on the button below to learn more about our Medical Staff.